Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Vista Q n A

Hybrid View

Windows Vista Q n A

Newegg and Dell are now offering windows vista for sale, this will obviously bring the OS into alot of new hands.

I decided to start this sticky to bring in Questons and hopefully Answers

Regarding setting up vista, selecting components for the number rating system etc.

Feel free to Post your questions and successes with hardware/driver versions and or any other concerns;

Flame wars will not be tolerated

Chit chat will not be tolerated

Commenting on anyones system specs in here is considered chit chat

Commenting on component vendors and prices of hardware and software is considered chit chat or off topic.

All I want to see For example;

If you are using Vista, what motherboard/driver version?? what issues or successes did you have with this???

Soundcard/driver version, processor? etc...

DVD rom?? what DVD application works on vista???

Do you know how secure vista is???? did they hide law enforcement forensic tools into vista, in order to make it easier to come to your house and arrest you for playing backed up media?

And for a side note regarding privacy and security;

Does Vista cause malitious incompatabilities with backing software for any type of media?

There's the thing right there that everyone should be concerned with and learn how to investigate! hopefully not all software is being constructed to drive the upgrade market.... Hopefully people aren't trying to remove resources that do not creating a record of what you did and when you did it somewhere inside the machine as forensic evidence.

Hopefully new computers are built without backdoor access to this forensic evidence remotely through the internet without your permission.. Hopefully this direct Violation of Federal LAW also known as Invasion of privacy isn't that prolific.

If you have a problem with this kind of statement, tough cookies, if you simply don't know, and have nothing to Add without facts to prove it, don't post. If I don't like what you are posting in here regarding this, I will delete it; see the forum guidlines; I will Ban repeat offenders... you see, people higher up the programming food chain are being "breifed" in how they can and can't talk about proprietary intelectual property, so be warned, MS may be watching and Big brother is definately watching; and just because this smiley is here, I will use it anyone got a match

Another heads up, Buy.com as well as Circuit City have started advertising that they have windows Vista for sale.

Gateway chimed in to advertise that they have VISTA available

Best Buy around here has pulled all of their PCs to get them upgraded to vista...
    "Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

"Honesty is the First Chapter in the Book of Wisdom" - Thomas Jefferson

Desktop:
    AMD Phenom II x6 1100T @ 3.3Ghz
    MSi 890FXA-GD70
    16GB G.Skill DDR3-1600
    Asus HD6950 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Ex16
    4x 1.5TB WD SATA w/64MB cache in RAID10
    2x Asus 22x DVD/CD +/-RW DL SATA
    Rosewill Xtreme Series 950W PSU
    2x 23" 5ms Asus Widescreen LCD
    Laptop:
    15" Aluminum MacBook Pro
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53Ghz
    4GB DDR3 @ 1067MHz
    320GB SATA 7200RPM HDD

**View My Forum**

Thats a scary thought, no choice anymore? wonder what's all in the privacy disclosure and EULA's... I bet the EULA states, this document may not be copied in part or whole! So you can't show it to anyone that doesn't already have it. Any links to VISTA privacy disclosure, EULA's etc... does it cover ALL the included applications or are there individual privacy disclosures and EULA's for each little component app....

Well, I found the EULA for Vista. I couldn't upload it to the forum, so I hosted it on my site.
    "Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

"Honesty is the First Chapter in the Book of Wisdom" - Thomas Jefferson

Desktop:
    AMD Phenom II x6 1100T @ 3.3Ghz
    MSi 890FXA-GD70
    16GB G.Skill DDR3-1600
    Asus HD6950 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Ex16
    4x 1.5TB WD SATA w/64MB cache in RAID10
    2x Asus 22x DVD/CD +/-RW DL SATA
    Rosewill Xtreme Series 950W PSU
    2x 23" 5ms Asus Widescreen LCD
    Laptop:
    15" Aluminum MacBook Pro
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53Ghz
    4GB DDR3 @ 1067MHz
    320GB SATA 7200RPM HDD

**View My Forum**

interesting read, there's alot of crap about MPEG. Why is this such a big deal? mpeg=jpg compression for video???k comercial photo lab outfits make prints from large jpg's all the time, why the big deal about video production? It's like all the sudden there's NO cool MPEG video recording tools, No cool videocapture tools or anything...... Did the MPEG people cut off the computer people?

More about the EULA

Check out wendy's blogspot? http://wendy.seltzer.org/blog/archiv..._the_user.html

[runonsentance]"MPEG usage rights are BS, freedom of expression through multimedia, so what if you are in a business and charge for the time and physical media format "CD or DVD" which contains a video of something, in your own way of expressing something, and you use MPEG video.... And your business license allows you to charge for parts and labor which are completely different services than the format in which the media is expressed....The MPEG file is still freee!!! but you have to pay for the disc and my time to make the video/conversion so that it's convenient for you to view, since some people require a specific type of video format to view video's on their system.. MPEG is universal n doesn't come with ass reaming secret software codec hijacking malware to steel your computer's usage tracks and personal private information like every other odd videocodec download.[/runonsentance]

A SOLUTION to a KNOWN problem with the new WINDOWS MAIL

Helping a friend tthis week with her new computer, of course it came with Vista on it so it was really something I wanted to see and try out . Jumped at the chance...anyway, of course the mail program is now called Windows Mail. Works and looks like Outlook Express but of course it is "new and improved and of course more secure". She could send mail with it for two weeks but then a mail "got stuck" in her outbox and she could not send any mail. She could receive it but not send. This was an ordinary mail, no fancy stationery, no attachments, smiley faces just a plain old text email so an odd formatting or attachment played no part in this whatsoever.

We did everything to get rid of this mail...delete, move, resend, rename...you name it we did it. But kept getting "an error has occurred and desired action cannot be complete" box, so it sat there, in the outbox and nothing else could go out. No error number, nothing. Just the error. Checked every setting, every anti-virus setting, all her email configurations and absolutely nothing was wrong or incorrect. She is on dial-up by the way but we found later that had nothing to do with it either. This has happened to countless people on cable, dsl, satellite, dial-up...makes no difference. Anti-virus program makes no difference and neither does the firewall.

Only info I could find anywhere was "this is a known bug with the new Windows Mail program"...well duh! I know that but what do we do?

It took us about 4 hours of continual searching but we finally found at least a work around until somebody at Microsoft really fixes this!

Enable viewing of Hidden Files and Folders
    cause if you don't you won't find anything you need to look for.

To enable the viewing of Hidden files follow these steps:

1. Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.
    2. Click on the Start button. This is the small round button with the Windows flag in the lower left corner.
    3. Click on the Control Panel menu option.
    4. When the control panel opens you can either be in Classic View or Control Panel Home view:

If you are in the Classic View do the following:
    1. Double-click on the Folder Options icon.
    2. Click on the View tab.
    3. Go to step 5.

If you are in the Control Panel Home view do the following:
    1. Click on the Appearance and Personalization link .
    2. Click on Show Hidden Files or Folders.
    3. Go to step 5.

5. Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders.
    6. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide extensions for known file types.
    7. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.
    8. Press the Apply button and then the OK button and shutdown My Computer.
    9. Now Windows Vista is configured to show all hidden files

I found you also need to take these steps in Safe Mode, though thes instructions did not say so, and I tried it first in normal mode and it wouldn't work.
    Reboot to Safe Mode by using the F8 method. Reboot and tap the F8 key as the system begins to boot. You will get a DOS screen with various boot choices. Using the arrow keys go up and choose Safe Boot.

Once the computer is fully booted in Safe Mode
    Make sure Windows Mail is closed.
    Go to Windows Explorer
    Then go to "C" drive.
    Then go to the Users Folder.
    Then go to yourloginname folder and look for
    APPDATA

LOCAL

MICROSOFT

WINDOWS MAIL

Copy the entire WindowsMail folder someplace else as a backup, anywhere else really. Though I just copied it to the C drive.

Just in case something really goes wrong you do have everything backed up.
    Once you have done this then scroll down through that WindowsMail Folder
    and you will find the file "WindowsMail.MSMessageStore" listed at the bottom.
    Delete that file, all the way out, even from your Recycle Bin.

Now reboot the computer to normal mode.
    Open Windows Mail. You will get a message that Windows Mail is recovering removed folders...which at first scared us cause we figured it was all going back...including that darned "stuck" mail in the Outbox...but boy were we surprised!

All of these moved folders came back into Windows Mail but were now sub folders in one New folder labeled Recovered Folders....Inbox(Recovered), Sent(Recovered) and so on. We opened each "unlabled" Folder...Inbox...it was empty, as was Sent, AND Outbox!

Then we opened each Recovered Folder...Inbox(Recovered) there was all her mail in that recovered folder. Selected All and Moved All into the Empty Inbox. Did the same with the Sent(Recovered) folder.We DID NOT open that Outbox(Recovered) folder
    Once we did that and made sure all the mail she wanted to keep was where it should be we went back down to that Recovered Folders box and deleted it...all the way out. Then we went back into Inbox, everything was there, as was everything in the Sent folder. But that Outbox was empty, just as we had been trying to so for days. We sent several test mails to ME from Her and they sailed out of there like they were carried by the wind and I was able to access them via the webmail page of my ISP.

I will be honest, we looked at so many different web pages...
    and finally found this answer on Microsoft Discussion Groups page, though we didn't think to save the link. We actually had about four or five different solutions that we printed out to try, first one we tried didn't work, though was somewhat similar to this one. Others involved registry edits, repairing and reinstalling of Windows Mail, and an actual REFORMAT of the brand new computer... and this was the only solution offered that had positive comments throughout. This obviously is a major problem that doesn't only affect the Outbox, many others had similar problems but with Sent box or Inbox, didn't matter and all stopped either the receipt or sending of mail. But it seemed that the solution was the same for all.

thats terrible, one more reason to stick to web based mail servers.

Thread Information