Thread: yahoo mail classic issue

yahoo mail classic issue

If you use non scripted access to yahoo mail classic with a certain browser version, with javascript and active x disabled, you may have noticed that you cannot get into your mail box. Instead of your mail classic inbox/home page, you get NOTHING... just a blank page with a DONE in the status bar.. This blank page is caused by a software upgrade advertisement/promotional jump page that yahoo decided to put between you and your mail box, in efforts to promote users to upgrade to internet explorer 8.0.. The promotional page requires the use of Javascript, in order to load the ie8 upgrade page, that also contains another link to your inbox. To get into your mail box, you have to click the link within the advertisement/promotional IE8 upgrade page that says, "NO THANKS, GO TO MY INBOX" or something similar to that.. If you do not have Java script enabled, you won't see this page, and won't be able to access your yahoo mail classic inbox...

To get back into your mail box, open internet options, select "security" click on the "internet" globe icon, then select custom level; set your browser scripting behaviour to "prompt" then try to log into mail.yahoo.com, enter your login info, click login, then when it prompts you to allow scripts, click yes, then you will get the IE 8.0 upgrade page. Find and click the no thanks, go to my inbox link, then you should be good to go. You can then disable scripts/prompting and should be able to log out, then log back in, and access yahoo mail classic, like normal, without javascript, or the annoying ie8 upgrade jump page.

One more reason to give Firefox or another browser a shot!
    I used to find Firefox slow and cumbersome in certain ways but over the course of a year, I became quite found of it. Still not that fast but overall, it is the most functional and safe browser imo.

Google chrome which I also disliked initially is becoming interesting as they develop it. I really really don't care for IE7 or 8.

Firefox is a HECK of a lot faster than IE!!! and much more secure.

That is not enough reason to just use another browser. With that logic in mind, switching to a new browser is the same as "upgrading to the latest version of IE"
    in order to view content that is not following website best practices..

The places that write pages, with all the bells and whistles, that require you to have "the latest" or you can't see their content, are turning a blind eye to the internet/web site best practices. They may not be loosing their majority audience, because people generally just like to keep their computer "updated"

The only issue's I'm finding with internet explorer, even the older versions, 5.0 etc.. are that the website authors don't follow best practices and do not include "non scripted" full access/navigation of their content.

Some of the sites that do this, also allow other shady/tracking/banner script behaviour on their sites from 3rd parties, for "monetary gains" and refuse to allow non scripted navigation to protect their source of income, or to keep their sponsorship, which could be from major software companies that, in order to continue their revenue generation, they need users to upgrade their browsers. For "whatever reason" many of these browsers are now excluding older hardware support, via opperating system/kernel incompatability.. For "some reason" this would mean that in order for the user to view some sites, they would have to upgrade not only their browser, but their opperating system, and hardware..

Other sites are just following trends and are going for the flashy multi-media/interaction "look" because they think it's cool and more popular. This would be just fine if they had non scripted/low bandwidth navigation links/jump pages.

I agree with you Cauz, I always liked simple, practical or performance driven approaches when it comes to computers and software. I can't stand the fact that a site you visit 'requires' you to update your browser version to a version that you may not like mainly due to its functionality or looks.

I recall the first years when Flash driven web sites were becoming more and more popular but most sites also provided a link where they would allow people to enter a non-flash version of the site which I would also choose even though I had Flash.
    Even when I use/used IE, I didn't use IE, I used a browser that ran on IE engine but had its own shell/cover such as Slim Browser or Crazy Browser.
    For standalone approach I like Browzar which also automatically cleans your cookies, IE cache and history upon exiting, making it an ideal choice on a shared or work computer.

Firefox is the most versatile but it does crash on me once in a while or go in a limbo or just crawl, never had that with Slim or Crazy browser using the IE engine but it might be due to all the changes in the web site coding.
    As things get more complex and sophisticated, functionality goes right out of the window I think.

Regardless of how much we whine and rant, things are changing and often for the worse imo.

I agree and disagree at the same time. Any IE browser is not standards compliant, especially <6.0, so if you're not using at least 7, you should be shot for using it. Not only is <6.0 not compatible with today's encryption, it's one of the worst rendering engines out there, not to say 6.0 is much better, but at least it has support for most encryption methods these days.

Also, if you're using <7.0 you should be shot again, as that's past EOL now. Now, I don't use any versions of IE at all, I like site to render correctly in my browser and have extendability options. I spend a majority of my days in my browser, so having it do what I want, when I want is a must for me. I don't have any plans to use IE8 or IE9, and never will.

I do agree that websites are getting worse when it comes to coding, there's no reason that one should have to allow JS or Flash to get to a site's content. It's rare for me to come across such an issue still, most sites I go to may have a bit of JS in them, but it's rarely needed for the functionality of the site, it's usually for some type of graphical flair or something.
    "Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

"Honesty is the First Chapter in the Book of Wisdom" - Thomas Jefferson

Desktop:
    AMD Phenom II x6 1100T @ 3.3Ghz
    MSi 890FXA-GD70
    16GB G.Skill DDR3-1600
    Asus HD6950 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Ex16
    4x 1.5TB WD SATA w/64MB cache in RAID10
    2x Asus 22x DVD/CD +/-RW DL SATA
    Rosewill Xtreme Series 950W PSU
    2x 23" 5ms Asus Widescreen LCD
    Laptop:
    15" Aluminum MacBook Pro