Thread: Brought a PC from Ebay - Need some help

Brought a PC from Ebay - Need some help

AMD Sempron 2600+ 1.6ghz 768mb RAM 80gb Hard drive

i brought AMD Sempron 2600+ 1.6ghz 768mb RAM 80gb Hard drive from Ebay for 22, sounded more powerfull than my current 800MHz one lol, i dont think it comes with a video card so which one would be the best - without slowing the pc down too much, ofc ill buy some more RAM if i can,

Is it AGP or PCI-E?
    What motherboard make and model did it come with?

k

the motherboard is a 760GXK8MC, i think its a foxcon or something like that,

According to foxconn:
    AGP slot supports 8X / 4X modes
    Here's a link to the graphics cards that they list as supported
    http://www.foxconnchannel.com/Upload...raphicCard.htm
    Make sure you have the latest, or suggested BIOS vesion for the graphics cards.

There are some new-ish AGP cards from ATI that might also work with this board, but you need to have a powerfull enough PSU (power supply) for the graphics card, "follow the graphics card MFG's recommended/certified PSU, then try to match the graphics card to your CPU.. Newer cards need a faster CPU to feed them.. Going by your CPU specs, an ati x800 or higher end x1800 x1900 x2600 or x2900 series would be CPU limmited, but would still play nicely. If you'd rather have an Nvidia card, a 6800 to 7900 would also do well, but will still be CPU limmited. Since AGP is nearly phased out of the market by PCI-E and with only a couple "NEW" AGP cards available from ATI, you might have some trouble finding the older cards via RETAIL. There are still loads of AGP cards for sale, for instance, current listings on ebay.co.uk show some Geforce 6800gt's at reasonable prices.

so the Geforce 6800GT will work in my machine? is this the 265mb as well as the 512MB?

I don't see any reason that it will not work; the 6800LE is on there, however... If it's not on the tested list and you don't know anyone that has tried "THE" card with your motherboard, you're risking having it not work... That's basically how everything PC related is even with new stuff, some cards don't work with some boards till they fix a driver or bios etc... It's more likely that it will work with bios version 5.44.A2.03.00 and nvidia driver version 7.6.5.0 This is what they show in the compatability chart for one of the 6800LE series nvidia cards.

If you do wind up with a 6 series nvidia card, you may have some 2D display issues. have a look at the following link http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=3612 regarding some settings that you may need to change to get 2D working.

k cheers mate, thanx for the info

I brought this Inno3D GeForce 8400GS 256MB pci-e graphics card cauz u think this will work on my mobo? was only like 17

It's gonna be hard to fit a PCI-E graphics card in an AGP slot; so basically no, not with that foxconn board..... And from the discription and reviews of the 8400GS; the price seems a bit up there; I think you should go with an x850xt AGP at the lower end; x1900xt AGP or 6800Ultra AGP at the upper end; ; but be sure the card is AGP slot, not PCI-E.. The prices for these AGP cards are kinda high for their generation, considering that people are only paying around 80 US for a Geforce 8800gts PCI-E with 512MB GDDR on the forums.

Thread Information