Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trojan Horse Malware...best way to remove

Unhappy Trojan Horse Malware...best way to remove

Hello,
    I was wondering if anyone new the best way to remove Trojan Horse malware...I ran AVG and it picked up 3 Trojan Horse Generic and 5 Trojan Horse Downloaders. AVG can only detect, but not heal, this malware. I really appreciate your time and expertise.

Sincerely,
    Summer

Lightbulb

Hi Summer,

Please have a look at the link below and follow the steps to obtain a HijackThis Scanlog, a Kaspersky Online Scanlog and an AVG Anti-Spyware Scanlog and please submit them for us.

-- Be sure to rename HijackThis.exe as outlined in the link.

Hang in there for Judy to have a look at the logs.

Best Luck
    PP

Follow PP's advice summer and post your logs. We'll take a look!
    Judy

Quote Originally Posted by PhilliePhan View Post
    Hi Summer,

Please have a look at the link below and follow the steps to obtain a HijackThis Scanlog, a Kaspersky Online Scanlog and an AVG Anti-Spyware Scanlog and please submit them for us.

-- Be sure to rename HijackThis.exe as outlined in the link.

Hang in there for Judy to have a look at the logs.

Best Luck
    PP
    Thanks so much, I've completed step one in the "Read Me Before Posting Help Link." I already have AVG 7.5, but I'm not sure if I unchecked 'Resident Shield,' 'automatic updates,' etc. Should I uninstall AVG and then reinstall it unchecking the specified items?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by summer8 View Post
    . Should I uninstall AVG and then reinstall it unchecking the specified items?
    No - If you already have AVG Anti-Spyware onboard, just internet update it to the latest malware definitions and run the scan. Do be sure to select Quarantine under "how to act" upon what it finds.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by PhilliePhan View Post
    No - If you already have AVG Anti-Spyware onboard, just internet update it to the latest malware definitions and run the scan. Do be sure to select Quarantine under "how to act" upon what it finds.

PP
    Well, I'm not sure if what I have is AVG Anti-Spyware...It says AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition...And in my Programs it's just listed as AVG 7.5. I did the automatic update earlier today and scanned the computer...That's when I found the Trojan Horse malware. If I, in fact, do have the correct version of AVG, should I scan it again, select Quarantine, and copy what's found in the virus vault? Or is the scan from earlier today sufficient and can I go back and somehow quarantine its findings? OR, do I actually need a more specific Anti-Spyware version of AVG that I don't know about? Thanks so much...
    Last edited by summer8; 04-25-2007 at 10:38 PM.

No, summer that program you have and scanned with is the AVG Free Anti-virus program.
    Good program for sure. But we also need you to download the AVG Anti-spy program, also version 7.5.
    You will find that in the link that PP gave you. Follow his instructions there on the download, install and update. This should be run in safe mode and set to fix or quarantine anything found. It may very well remove your trojans but we won't know until you run it, have it clean and then save the log and post it back here.

Hi, sorry for the delay in getting back to you guys, but I'm in exams and very busy... At this point I've nearly completed step 2 of the process (installing AVG Anti-Spyware, Windows Defender, ATF), but I've run into a bit of a quagmire. My operating system came w/ Windows Defender, which seemed to work smoothly until a few months ago, possibly when my computer contracted its first Trojan virus. Every time I booted my computer, I would get a warning message saying that Windows Defender was blocked, or something of the sort. Knowing this, I just uninstalled the original version of W.D. and downloaded a new version, following your link. Just now, when I was trying to complete the installation process, right after I accepted the terms of the agreement, it came up with this message: "The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem w/ this package. The error code is 2889." Is there any way to get around this? Other than this issue, I think I'm ready to go.
    Thanks,
    Summer

Lightbulb

Hi Summer,

Don't worry about Windows Defender at the moment. I'm sure Judy can help you get that straightened out later.

The AVG Anti-spy Scanlog, HJT Scanlog, and Kaspersky Online Scanlog ought to suffice. Just get those for Judy and I'm sure she will advise you on how to proceed from there

-- Personally, I prefer AVG Anti-Spyware over Windows Defender. Its "real time" protection is not free, but I believe it is worth the cost and you might be better served to stick with that after Judy gets you fixed up......

Cheers
    PP

Alright, so I hope this is one of my final questions (but somehow I doubt it). I was trying to install Kaspersky and a yellow bar came down, but it wouldn't let me "Install ActiveX Control," which then prevented the website from installing the addon "kavwebscan_unicode.cab". When I do try to "Install ActiveX Control" it just goes back to the previous Welcome screen, notifying me that I have to run w/ Admin. priviledges the first time I use the service in order to install the product. If this is really the fix for my situation, how should I gain Admin. priviledges w/out booting in safe mode and denying myself access to the Internet and the Kaspersky site altogether? Thank you, and I'm sorry if I'm doing this all wrong.
    Summer

Thread Information