Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with ActiveX?

Problem with ActiveX?

Sorry if this is the wrong board, I wasn't sure if I was to use Universal Software, Operating System or Software/Freeware Tidbits.

As for the problem I'm experiencing, the ActiveX on my internet explorer no longer "works". If anyone here uses GMAIL, they will know that GMAIL's standard view utilises ActiveX. Unfortunately, my internet explorer doesnt have ActiveX "activated". The internet options show it as enabled but GMAIL still gives me a message about ActiveX being disabled.

I'm currently running Windows XP SP2 and I use both Microsoft Internet Explorer and Avant Browser, an IE-based browser. The problem first appeared two weeks ago. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

- itzbilly

What version of IE are you using?

I am currently using IE 6.0.

On the contrary, ActiveX is not needed to utilize Gmail.
    in fact I have exclusively used Firefox for all my browsing needs for about 3 years now and have no issues obtaining, sorting, reading or sending with my Gmail account.
    ActiveX has never been added to my installation of Firefox.

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...973&topic=1525

The information at that link should help you to get rid of that message and enable full use of Gmail in IE.

No idea why, but the initial page of the Gmail does check for ActiveX, more on that at this link;
    http://blogs.msdn.com/david.wang/arc...pressions.aspx
    Last edited by OEM_guy; 04-23-2007 at 06:36 AM.

I've tried the help page for gmail but it has not worked. I will post screenshots of my current settings in order to help find a solution. Thanks for the help so far!

On a side note, GMAIL isn't the only place where ActiveX isn't showing up.

Active scripting , ActiveX controls or Java applets are blocked on your computer or network. Anti-virus programs or firewalls, can be configured to block Active scripting , ActiveX controls or Java applets
    • Anti-virus software is configured to scan your Temporary Internet Files or Downloaded Program Files folders.
    The scripting engine on your computer is corrupt or outdated.
    Internet-related folders on your computer are corrupt.
    Your video card drivers are corrupt or outdated.
    The DirectX component on your computer is corrupt or outdated.

I checked my firewall and anti-virus, they don't block ActiveX. Even if my anti-virus software scanned my Temporary Internet Files, I've never had any problems with ActiveX. If the scripting engine or the internet-related folders are corrupt, how can I fix this? I'll also check to get the latest drivers for my video card.

Quote Originally Posted by itzbilly View Post
    I checked my firewall and anti-virus, they don't block ActiveX. Even if my anti-virus software scanned my Temporary Internet Files, I've never had any problems with ActiveX. If the scripting engine or the internet-related folders are corrupt, how can I fix this? I'll also check to get the latest drivers for my video card.
    Either a security type program is blocking the activeX plug-ins from being downloaded installed (such as SpywareBlaster) or you have one of the IE/Windows updates that is corrupted and causing the installation to fail.

If you try another browser such as Firefox as suggested by OEM_guy just to see if the problem was with IE only or not, that could shed some light on the issue.

I don't have any security type programs that block ActiveX and I disabled the windows updates long ago. I have also used Firefox and it works fine but from what I've read in the site posted by OEM_guy [http://blogs.msdn.com/david.wang/arc...pressions.aspx], the ActiveX only exists when IE is used. I don't believe its anything with the video card or direct x either.

Any other suggestions? =\

Thread Information