Thread: XP activation problem

XP activation problem

So my friend has a netbook (can't remember what brand), and a couple weeks ago, XP just blue screened and crapped out. So I wiped her HDD, and reinstalled XP along with her drivers using a USB DVD drive. Everything worked fine, until yesterday. She went to log in, and it said XP needs to be activated, so she went to activate it, and it said that this version of windows has already been activated. When she clicks ok on that prompt, it goes to the desktop, but there's no Start menu, no desktop icons, and ctrl-alt-del does nothing. It's just the mouse cursor. I had her boot into safe mode, which worked once, but after that it says it won't boot into safe mode until it's been activated. I'm at kind of a loss here, any suggestions?

This is news to me. It doesn't make sense, how do they expect you to activate it if you cannot access/run anything?
    Can you open anything at all? Does Windows Key + R open the run box?
    I wonder if you overlook something or forgot to mention here?
    Worst case scenario, do a fresh install again to see.

I haven't had a chance to mess with it in person yet, just an over-the-phone discussion. She says that for a couple days it was telling her to activate, and she'd hit ok, and it would say it's already been activated. CTRL+R does nothing. The only way I could imagine this happening would be if i had installed windows on top of the existing install, and portions of the MBR weren't re written correctly, but I wiped everything. I was hoping for some solution that didn't involve re-installing again. O well I guess I'll wipe it and start over again.

She needs to activate. Upon boot it'll ask for activating. I had this happen a few times with VMs.
    "Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

"Honesty is the First Chapter in the Book of Wisdom" - Thomas Jefferson

Desktop:
    AMD Phenom II x6 1100T @ 3.3Ghz
    MSi 890FXA-GD70
    16GB G.Skill DDR3-1600
    Asus HD6950 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Ex16
    4x 1.5TB WD SATA w/64MB cache in RAID10
    2x Asus 22x DVD/CD +/-RW DL SATA
    Rosewill Xtreme Series 950W PSU
    2x 23" 5ms Asus Widescreen LCD
    Laptop:
    15" Aluminum MacBook Pro