Thread: Wireless on laptop no longer working

Wireless on laptop no longer working

Hey all...been gone for quite some time, glad to be back.
    My son has a Toshiba Satellite A205 S5880 laptop....he's not sure what he did, but now his wireless is no longer working...works fine with an ethernet cable.
    Probably something pretty simple, but beyond my scope of knowledge...can somebody help?
    Thanks

First and foremost, and this is usually overlooked, make sure there's no physical switch on the laptop somewhere for the wifi, and if there is, make sure it's on
    "Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

"Honesty is the First Chapter in the Book of Wisdom" - Thomas Jefferson

Desktop:
    AMD Phenom II x6 1100T @ 3.3Ghz
    MSi 890FXA-GD70
    16GB G.Skill DDR3-1600
    Asus HD6950 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Ex16
    4x 1.5TB WD SATA w/64MB cache in RAID10
    2x Asus 22x DVD/CD +/-RW DL SATA
    Rosewill Xtreme Series 950W PSU
    2x 23" 5ms Asus Widescreen LCD
    Laptop:
    15" Aluminum MacBook Pro
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53Ghz
    4GB DDR3 @ 1067MHz
    320GB SATA 7200RPM HDD

**View My Forum**

Quote Originally Posted by patmac6075 View Post
    he's not sure what he did, but now his wireless is no longer working...works fine with an ethernet cable.
    Pat, also, what does "no longer working" mean? Were you using Windows own Wireless to connect or a 3rd party?
    Can you see the wireless connection icon in the system tray? If yes, are there no networks listed or is there an error message when you try to connect to one?
    If no wireless connection icon is listed, then make sure it is still listed in the "Network Connections" panel?

After checking on what Gizmo suggested, here is what I would suggest you can do:
    1. START
    2. RUN
    - or press Windows Key + R
    3. Type ncpa.cpl
    4. See if Wireless Connection is listed, if it is, make sure it is not disabled.
    If it is disabled, then you can enable it by right-clicking on it and selecting "enable".

Next check to see if Windows wireless service running, if not turn it on:
    1. START
    2. RUN
    - or press Windows Key + R
    3. Type services.msc
    4. Scroll down and check to make sure Wireless Service is not stopped and/or disabled.
    I am not sure how this service would be listed as in XP it is called "Wireless Zero Configuration" and in Windows 7, it is referred to as "WLan AutoConfig"

Driver?

Computer says that i am missing a driver and/or my driver is outdated. . .i attempted to install a new updated driver online, but it did not help. now what?

What was the driver for that you installed? Where did you get the driver?
    Here is the Toshiba Driver page for your specific Toshiba Computer. That is where you should look for the driver.
    http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...ily=1073768663

Thread Information