Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vista Antivirus 2011 Infected

Red face Vista Antivirus 2011 Infected

Hey There, I got worried that you guys were no longer online. I was just a victim of this Vista Antivirus 2011 and it was so bad I wasnt able to get an internet window and it forced me to purchase the removal for 59.95. then when I was able to get in and search this, I find it is a malware virus and a fraud and of course the people I called said it can only be removed by a computer tech for only 89.00. So now I am out 59.00 and all I know is that a company called Monstrov Tv.com took my money. I unfortunately had forgot to download Microsoft Security Essentials, so I have since done that, but just wondering if ya'll know of this virus and what I can do to get it off and also if ya'll know what kind of info I can give my bank to try to get this resolved concerning my payment? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated and I would much rather pay ya'll then anyone else, as the assistance I have gotten here in the past was priceless, td

td1harris,
    I moved your thread it was in the wrong forum, this belongs in Spyware Central. We cannot help you get money back, that will be up to you. But I can tell you this, the company you paid is located in Beijing, China so don't hold your breath while waiting for repayment. If you paid by credit card then call your bank and tell them about it, they may be able to stop it. Same goes for a pay pal account. The place to call is your bank.
    Please repost all of your logs in here.
    I know you said that you used System Restore. This may make it impossible to get this removed. System Restore DOES NOT remove infection, it doesn't remove programs. It works on a very few files only. Please repost your logs.

these anti virus programs come with MANY different names. Some of them are pretty hard to remove. My sister and my mom have both had one in the past 6 months. There is a safe mode version of windows 7 with very limited startup that I booted to and just popped in a USB stick with a few tools and the first thing I ran was spybot and that actually removed them both just by booting into safe mode. Like you said the computers were unusable in the normal boot with like a thousand error popup screens.

99.9% the tool of choice to remove these Fake Alert infections is Malwarebytes' Anti-malware. Another tool, rkill, may need to be run first in order to stop the infection processes from running to begin, and when these are used you just ignore the pop up screens until the running infection process is stopped and then continue with the tool of choice, with IS MBA-M. Each one of these Fake Alert trojans is slightly different, this one Vista Antivirus 2011 also requires a specialized registry fix first but then instructions are the same, rkill and then a Full Scan with a fully updated MBA-M and then additional tools to be sure all infection files are gone. These Fake Alerts also often indicate a rootkit, that would have to be removed first before rest of the instructions are followed.

Thanks to everyone that replied. I am going to try anyway to report this to Cybercrime, I dont know if anything will ever come from it. I did in fact authorize the payment because at the time I was working and was trying anything I could to be able to get access to the internet, so not sure if the bank will continue to authorize the return of my payment. I dont know if just having the location and no specific address will help them, but I guess I can use whatever I have obtained, thanks to you all. I also did a system restore on my computer and then downloaded Malwarebytes' Anti-malware tool and Microsoft Security Essentials and so far it does not appear in my system. Reading the responses, am I to understand I may still be infected? Thanks again for your help.

Using System Restore DOES NOT remove an infection. It only makes it harder to find. System Restore actually operates only on a very few system files and settings. System Restore backs up your registry...period. I say again, System Restore will NOT uninstall a program or an Infection. System Restore is meant to restore from very RECENT changes like just day or two, not weeks.
    So are you likely still infected? Probably. But since we have seen no logs we cannot say anything for sure, I just know if it was my computer I sure wouldn't be using it for anything important or store any personal files on it.

So, I guess what you are saying is that since I did the system restore there is no way to tell if it is still in my computer, or just harder to find? I will send updated logs, but if they wont show anything, I guess I'll just have to take it somewhere, I dont know at this point what my next step should be. Here are the latest logs:
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.60.0.1800
    www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2012.01.02.04

Windows Vista Service Pack 2 x86 NTFS
    Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421
    User :: USER-PC [administrator]

1/30/2012 1:45:09 PM
    mbam-log-2012-01-30 (13-45-09).txt

Scan type: Full scan
    Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
    Scan options disabled: P2P
    Objects scanned: 304393
    Time elapsed: 45 minute(s), 17 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
    (No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 0

(end)

Will follow with the rest
    Thanks, Terry

while this MBA-M log may have been done today, it is worthless. You are running a database that is 28 days out of date.
    Database version: v2012.01.02.04>>>meaning the 4th update release on January 2, 2012. If it were up to date it would read, Database version;v2012.01.30. and then the update number you are running from today, thus far there have been 3 updates released just today. So the most current one would read Database version;v2012.01.30.03>>>meaning 3rd update database of January 30, 2012.
    I don't mean either that it cannot be found, just that it would be more difficult to find.

Judy, I am so sorry I am so illiterate, but are you saying that all of these logs are useless? Should I be doing updates on my computer? I have run the other logs Bleeping and eset, but having trbl getting the eset log, anyway what is your suggestion? Thanks Terry

p.s. It is Judy isnt it?

Thread Information