Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't restore.

Can't restore.

Deleted
    Last edited by wingx128; 07-29-2010 at 05:59 PM.

I am guessing you upgraded from XP to Vista, is that what you did? Were there any errors or complications during the upgrade process?
    I am not certain but the reason the restore point might be missing is because it was deleted during the upgrade process. If XP and System Restore related files are not intact, naturally restore functionality would be lost.
    May be somehow who has hands on experience could chime in since my educated guesses may not be accurate.
    If possible, provide more details on what you did exactly and the answers to the questions I asked above.

~TL

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by wingx128 View Post
    Yes, I did upgrade to Vista. There didn't seem to be any errors when upgrading. This is what happened:

First, I had made a system restore with XP. Then, I upgraded to Vista Home Edition, but without the product key.

Now, when I started Windows, there were no programs that I had in XP. All of them were stored in another folder called Windows.old.

So I decided to system restore, but I couldn't find it in the control panel. I also couldn't find the file that system restores.

Is that more helpful?
    According to the info you had given, I don't believe you can use system restore any more. So it seems like whatever backup of your data you had is all you have left. Unless I am mistaken and there is a way, it sounds like you will need to do a fresh install of XP since Vista deleted or made significant changes making it impossible to revert back.

Deleted

Deleted

Are either of these the steps you followed?
    Recovering the system without using Windows

1.Disconnect all peripherals and internal non preinstalled devices from the PC, except the monitor, keyboard, and mouse.
    2.Turn on the computer.
    3.When the initial blue HP screen appears, press the F10 key repeatedly until a recovery menu appears. The progress indicator that first appears does not indicate that a recovery is taking place. The progress indicator represents the time before the recovery process is started.
    4.When the Recovery screen appears, click Next, and then click Yes to perform a normal, non-destructive recovery.
    5.To perform a destructive recovery, click Advanced, and then click Yes.
    6.After the System Recovery is complete, and the computer starts successfully, update the computer software as follows:

Recovering the system using the recovery discs for Windows XP

1.Do not insert any discs into the HP Pavilion before starting. Disconnect all peripherals and internal non preinstalled devices from the PC, except the monitor, keyboard, and mouse.
    2.Turn the computer on and press the F1 key when the first logo screen appears.
    3.Press the Right Arrow key until Boot is highlighted.
    4.Press the Down Arrow key until Boot Device Priority is highlighted.
    Remember where CD-ROM is listed.
    5.Press the Enter key, then press the Down Arrow and highlight the listed CD-ROM drive.
    6. Press the Plus (+) key until the CD-ROM is at the top of the list.
    7.Insert the first recovery disc into the CD-ROM drive.
    8.Press the ENTER to save settings and exit.
    A recovery screen appears.
    9.Read and respond to each recovery screen that appears.
    When changing discs, do not press the OK button. Instead, wait for the drive to read the disc and it will automatically continue the recovery.
    10.After the recovery is complete, restore the CD-ROM boot-device priority back to its original setting, as follows:
    1.Turn the computer on and press the F1 key when the first logo screen appears.
    2. Use the Arrow keys to select Boot Device Priority under the Boot menu.
    3.Press the Enter key, and then press the Down Arrow to highlight CD-ROM drive.
    4.Press the Minus (-) key until the CD-ROM is listed in its original location.
    5.Press the ENTER to save settings and exit.
    6.Restart the computer.

Deleted
    Last edited by wingx128; 07-29-2010 at 06:00 PM.

Did you try choosing the dvd drive?

Thread Information