Thread: Rechargeable "Coin" Battrery in a MB???

Question Rechargeable "Coin" Battrery in a MB???

I've just discovered that there are rechargeable coin batteries, both Ni-MH and Lithium:

http://www.chungpak.com/pdf/catalogu..._Catalogue.pdf

http://www.chungpak.com/pdf/catalogu...utton_Cell.pdf

I'm sure there's more than just Chungpak (aka: Evergreen in USA) as a supplier, but that's not the question.

Will a rechargeable coin work in a modern MB like the old NiCad stacks did in the 486 days? I suppose I could find an old P3 machine, pull the coin and fire it up. A pair of DVM probes showing anything around 3 volts on the coin contacts would be definitive. But does anyone already know about this and is it a safe improvement? I can see this as a real good thing to swap into a notebook too (having been bit twice now).

My current MB is an FIC (First International Computer, Inc.) K8M-800M

What's the word?
    Last edited by jopower; 03-09-2011 at 11:29 PM.

Interesting, is it working.. Any word from this thing?

I'm not sure how widespread this will go, as most of these batteries last upwards of 4-5 years and are considered "disposable". Now.. this 4-5 years is assuming that the batteries are paired up with the devices properly.

I think with the current trend of upgrading PC's including revissions of motherboards/cpu's/videocards etc.. With the rated life of the current cr2032 coin shaped battery's, it would be time to upgrade the PC before the battery actually died.. That being said. Both my old 2007 dated motherboard as well as my brothers more recent i5/i7 motherboard had their cr2032 coin batteries go dead before their expected life and cause booting/cmos re-settings problems, I was looking into another solution. Even though fresh cr2032 batteries solved those booting problems, it wasn't an easy task to replace the batteries.. Both of our rigs are/were watercooled overclocking platforms.. There was alot of stuff in the way of getting at the backup battery to actually remove it and force a hard reset to factory cmos settings.

The motherboards have "non volitile" storage of CMOS settings in different profiles for different configs that we could load from CMOS setup, but couldn't make them stick between hard restarts due to the dead cr2032 batteries.

I had an idea of adding a coin shaped battery "insert" constructed of same thickness PCB, clad and tinned in the right places to make good contact with the coin battery socket, with extension wires soldered to the possitive and negative sides of the battery insert, connected to whatever 3v battery pack, a couple of AAA rechargeables or AA rechargeables... sort of like the remote battery packs that were common in the 486 days, except with an extra remote toggle switch to make it easy to disconnect power from the coin battery insert, without having to remove any video cards or drive cables..

I came up with this idea when doing a series of overclocking/benchmarking/pc dragracing type settings; where I needed to remove the cmos battery for a certain amount of time to clear the cmos memory before rebooting to factory/defaults after over-overclocking fail..

Since the motherboards in both my brothers recent i5/i7 board and my older core2 quad board were mounted permanent in the case/chassis.. The fans and wires/water cooling loop hoses and everything installed was blocking access to the backup battery, it was quite an issue to have to remove the video cards and unplug the hard drive cables and move other stuff out of the way to get at the cmos battery... I think with something like the small insert, with wires that lead out to a remote toggle switch and remote battery pack, be it standard batteries, or rechargeable batteries would be a better choice and serve the overclocking community as well.

A while in coming, but a rechargeable may not work...

I' ve tested an older Gigabyte GA-71xe4 MB battery socket voltages with coin removed:
    PS switch off = 0 volts
    PS switch on = 1.36 volts
    PC booting up = 1.37 volts
    Windows running 10 minutes = 1.38 volts

This is under half the typical coin bat nominal voltage of 2.8 - 3.3 volts. 1.36 volts would not charge a battery very well. I note that a typical PC will NOT hold BIOS settings with a battery under 1.2 volts. Some require at least 2 volts. I replace my and my customers coins that test below 2.7 volts and never sell a PC without a coin showing at least 3 volts.

Thread Information