Thread: Quick question about RAM

Quick question about RAM

Hi guys,

I am currently running Windows 7 32-bit and thinking about adding on some ram or trading off my ram. I currently have 3x1GB ram, looking to switch it to 2x2GB ram. My question is this: would I be able to make full use of the 4GB ram in Windows 7 32-bit? I've read that people switch to 64-bit for Windows to recognize the full 4GB. Is this true, or would the system still utilize the 4GB but windows doesn't show it?

Please reply soon, thanks!

Can anyone help me?

I'm using 4 GB DDR3 ram on Windows 7. I feel no problem on32 bit. So i think you can try it.
    more help you can visit http://www.pinnaclemicro.com

32bit Windows can only address 4gb of memory total. PCI and other device memory addressing comes off the end of that 4gb spectrum first. So, if you have 4gb of RAM and a 1GB video card - Windows will only be able to address 3GB of RAM. Then you must be realize that there are other PCI memories addressed too that takes off the end - like sound cards, network, other devices, etc, etc.

Typically a 4gb 32bit system with a 512MB video card will only be able to address and use about 3.1gb of the 4gb of RAM.

Thread Information